Monday, October 17, 2016


Near Harvest
Oil on archival panel, 6 x 6 inches

I've been taking an online workshop with Mary Gilkerson, a landscape artist I really admire. Part way through the course so far. Many wiped out panels so far. Finally, one that doesn't automatically go in the trash pile! 

If you know her work and mine, you can see some of her influence. I've copied certain works of several artists, and I often find that to be helpful. It's always interesting, as I go back to my own work, to see what may have changed. Taking a workshop is similar, but better. The ideas and thoughts are actually articulated rather than only inferred from the copying process. I'm trying out new ideas, thoughts...yet, I still see "me" in my work.  

Learning curves tend to be very steep at times and rather flat at times. Either one can be quite frustrating, but I would rather be learning. If a person is succeeding all the time, I guess she's not trying anything new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment